Thursday, September 8, 2016

The Numbers that Really Matter

If you read the email that I sent about Fitbits, then you'd know that I'm not especially number driven when it comes to health and fitness. In the email, I mentioned that I'm happier not knowing exactly how many steps I've taken in a day. I do better when I listen to my body because it tells me when I'm doing too much activity and when I'm not doing enough. Same goes with my scale; I'd be lying to you if I told you I didn't enjoy seeing the number getting smaller, but I get far more satisfaction from the way my clothes fit and how much better I feel overall.

But I received some numbers this week that not only brought a smile to my face, they really and truly inspired me. Since I started the Challenge 9 weeks ago, my cholesterol has gone down 20 points. My HDL, which is the good cholesterol (you want more HDL) went up 4 points and my LDL, which is the bad cholesterol (you want less LDL) went down 17 points. My triglycerides are also down considerably since the start of the Challenge. I knew that I was eating better, but these numbers have confirmed that I am healthier.

I don't need a Fitbit to tell me that I've walked enough because I can feel it in my legs. And I don't need a scale to tell me that I've lost weight because I can feel it in my clothes. But I do need a blood test to tell me my levels because high cholesterol doesn't typically have any symptoms. In most cases, it only causes emergency events like a heart attack or a stroke.

These number are important and I will continue to monitor and try to improve them. Heck, if the Fitbit could measure my cholesterol, I might start wearing it again. Until that happens, I will continue to follow Jacy's suggestions and recipes and will visit my doctor to monitor my cholesterol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment