Monday, June 6, 2016

I'm Taking the Challenge

My grandfather emigrated from Italy when he was 16 years old. He met my grandmother, who also arrived in America via Ellis Island, after she escaped czarist Russia. They raised my father in New York City where they learned a new culture, new customs and a new language. Lucky for me, my grandmother also learned to cook a new cuisine - that of her husband's homeland.

I have vivid memories of running into my grandparents' apartment and being met with the sound and scent of delicious Italian food being prepared in the kitchen. My grandmother always had one arm outstretched to hug my sisters and me while the other was permanently attached to a wooden spoon stirring sauce. My grandparents' home was one of compassion, love, family gatherings and...food. Food has always been an important part of our family. 

As the son of two immigrants who grew up during the depression, my father has amazing stories to share and has imparted me with his wisdom and invaluable lessons over the years. But enticing me, at an early age, to become a member of the Clean Plate Club was probably not his best advice. I have been a card carrying member ever since, and will most likely be cursed for the rest of my life. I inherited my father's love of food, his Roman nose, and his high cholesterol. 

For the past few months, members have been asking me about the Just 10 Challenge. After I give them my spiel (a nod to my Yiddish speaking Russian grandmother), I always encourage them to speak directly with Jacy to get a better understanding of what it entails. It finally occurred to me that I should put my money where my mouth is and take the challenge myself. Exercise comes easy for me, but keeping my diet in check, not so much. Losing 10 pounds can help to lower my blood pressure, reduce my risk of stroke, and lower my cholesterol. I'm in.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting with Jacy for our initial one hour consult to discuss what has and has not worked for me in the past. I'd like to blame my family for my past sins, but it's time to take control and ownership. I will share with you what I learn and if you are so inclined, you can follow along with me as I plan to blog about the Challenge. Maybe I'll inspire you to take the challenge with me? Please? Pretty please with sugar on top? Ok, maybe skip the sugar. But, please, join me! Call Jacy Shaffer at 312-391-0000. 

No comments:

Post a Comment